Zucchini Breakfast Tacos
Welp, it’s zucchini season. Or, it almost is at least and so you should have some fun and delicious zucchini recipes at the ready beyond the standard zucchini bread situation. Even if you don’t grow zucchini, you probably know someone how does and they will inevitably gift you more than you need (this is a good thing).
But even if you are buying them from the grocery store, they are at their best this time of year and also the cheapest produce available. So, in short, you should be cooking with zucchini these days and step one is making these loaded zucchini breakfast tacos!
The key to making these tacos above-and-beyond delicious is to actually char the zucchini in bacon grease. Yep. I said bacon grease. But don’t overcook the little guys. You want them charred, but not soggy.
Add all the other fixings you would want in a taco and you’ll be in breakfast taco heaven. And minus one zucchini!
- Chop bacon and add to a medium or large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until bacon is crispy and the fat has rendered out. Remove bacon from the skillet and drain off bacon grease, leaving about two tablespoons in the skillet.
- Add sliced zucchini to the skillet and cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side until the zucchini are charred in spots but not completely soggy.
- Remove zucchini and add sliced onions, mushrooms, and jalapenos. Cook until veggies soften and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. There should be enough grease left still at this point to cook the veggies, but if the skillet is very dry, add a drizzle of oil.
- Meanwhile, scramble eggs and cook them in a nonstick skillet over low heat until just cooked through.
- Assemble tacos by add a layer of egg to each tortilla and top with queso fresco, zucchini, onion mixture, bacon bits, avocado, and chives. Eat immediately!
Zucchini Breakfast Tacos
Step one here is to chop some bacon and add it to a cast iron skillet (or any medium or large skillet) over low heat to slowly render out the fat and crisp up the bacon. You probably won’t need all the bacon grease. About two teaspoons of grease will do the trick.
Then add your zucchini slices and cook them for 2-3 minutes per side over medium heat until they blister, but aren’t soggy.
Remove the zucchini so it doesn’t overcook and add some onion, mushroom, and jalapeno. To be honest, all of these are pretty optional, but they are nice additions if you have them handy.
Cook those in the same skillet until they soften and brown a bit. You’ll need eggs too! Just scramble them. If you need a tutorial there, check out my perfect scrambled eggs walkthrough.
Now just assemble! I like eggs, cheese, onion mixture, zucchini, bacon, avocado, salsa, chives. But you do you.
These are pretty large zucchini breakfast tacos and one of them is a good breakfast. Two would be a full meal for sure.
Leave a comment if you are rich in zucchini and planning on making these beauties.