Steel-cut oatmeal simmered with coconut milk and topped with lightly toasted coconut flakes. You will love this oatmeal!
1) Bring water to a simmer in a medium pot over medium heat.
2) Stir in oats, flax and a pinch of salt and bring to a light simmer over low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. If you don’t use the flax, reduce the water by 1/2 cup.
3) After the oats have thickened substantially, but still aren’t quite cooked, stir in coconut milk and continue to stir and simmer. Be sure to shake coconut milk well before adding it.
4) Toast coconut flakes in a small skillet over medium-low heat until they start to brown slightly. Watch carefully or they will burn. They should take just a minute or two to toast once the pan is hot.
5) When the oatmeal is thick and cooked through, stir in vanilla.
6) Serve oatmeal immediately with toasted coconut on top.