Homemade pizza topped with brussel sprouts, bacon, and blue cheese. Might sound strange, but trust me… it’s a keeper.
Homemade Pizza Sauce (adapted from American Pie)
Homemade Napoletana Dough (Again from American Pie)
1) To make dough, combine water, oil, salt, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Stir together and let sit for 5 minutes to make sure yeast is active. It should bubble.
2) Stir in flour until it’s well-incorporated and forms a ball. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Then mix either with your hands or with a stand mixer. If using hands, repeatedly dip one hand in water and work the dough vigorously until it’s smooth, about 8 minutes. If using a mixer, mix with dough hook until smooth, about 6 minutes. If at any point, the dough is very sticky, mix in more flour.
3) Cut dough into 6 even pieces, coat with olive oil and add to a large plastic bag. Let rest for 20-30 minutes.
4) Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight.
5) Remove from fridge at least 90 minutes before making pizza.
6) For sauce, mix together ingredients and set aside until needed.
7) Grate cheese, cook bacon, and roughly chop sprouts.
8) Preheat oven to 550 degrees with pizza stone for at least 20 minutes.
9) Roll out dough to form a 12 inch pizza. Place dough on a pizza peel lightly dusted with cornmeal. Add sauce and spread it smoothly over pie. Top with mozzarella, sprouts, bacon, blue cheese.
10) Slide pizza onto stone and let cook for 10 minutes.
11) Take out pizza and top immediately with fresh basil.
12) Slice and serve!