The Gin Levy Bevvy
It’s tax day! Woohoo! Just kidding. Nobody is really excited about tax day, especially if you are rushing to get your one million various papers you need together. The least I can do is present you with a delicious and refreshing cocktail to make your work a little lighter. I made this Gin Levy Bevvy to easy the pain of 1040s a little bit!
I should take an aside for those that don’t live in the U.S. to point out that filing taxes in the U.S. is incredibly cumbersome – much more difficult than in other countries.
Does it need to be this way? Absolutely not. Why is it so difficult? As with so many things, probably because of lobby dollars. If you’re interested in learning more, check out this great Planet Money Episode about a tax lawyer who hired his own lobbyist to help him get the tax form simplified. Good luck, bro!
Anyway, enough about complicated things. Let’s make a delicious and easy cocktail!
- To make the cocktail syrup, add those three ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar and simmer the mixture until it reduces by about half, maybe 8-10 minutes.
- Remove syrup from heat and allow to cool. If you stick it in the fridge or freeze, it’ll chill out pretty quickly. Then transfer syrup to a squeeze bottle or jar for storage.
To make a cocktail:
- Stir together gin and pomegranate syrup in a tall cocktail glass to dissolve syrup.
- Top with ice, filling the glass up.
- Top with club soda and stir together.
- Garnish with a cherry and fresh lime segment.
Simple Pomegranate Syrup
One of my favorite tricks for making good homemade cocktails is to whip up a special simple syrup. You can use any kind of juice really and just mix it with a little water and sugar. I usually use 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of juice and then add about 1/2 cup of water to help things dissolve.
Bring the mixture to a simmer to dissolve the sugar and then let it simmer until it reduces by about half. It should simmer for 8-10 minutes. Just stir it occasionally to prevent any burning.
Chill the mixture down and it will thicken and be perfect for cocktails!
Gin Levy Bevvy
This is a simple cocktail. Stir together some gin (or vodka) with the pomegranate simple syrup.
Then top off your tall glass with bubbly water and ice! Pretty much done!
I like to garnish mine with a cherry and a slice of fresh lime. It’s a pretty refreshing situation!
Try this Gin Levy Bevvy if you need a little refresh while you are finalizing your taxes today!