This is a really easy soup to toss together. It’s filled with fresh spring veggies and tortellini. A great lighter soup to bring in spring.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch golden beets, plus greens
8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
9 oz. tortellini pasta
1 cup sweet peas
Salt and pepper
Fresh oregano, garnish
- Prep leeks by chopping them in half lengthwise and rinsing them well. Then chop into half-coins. Prep beets by peeling them and then cubing them into small cubes. Rinse the beet greens well and cut out any large stems.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped leeks, cubed beets, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until veggies soften. Make sure leeks don’t brown at all.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to low and add washed and chopped beet greens and peas. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook for another 4-5 minutes until pasta is floating and cooked through. Season soup well with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup garnished with a few leaves of fresh oregano.