Spicy Pineapple Chicken Tacos
Taco night can mean a lot of different things to me depending on the night. Sometimes, taco night means I have zero time and need dinner like NOW. Sometimes it means I have all the time in the world and want to make something truly special. These Spicy Pineapple Chicken Tacos end up being a little bit of both.
They are quick to make and spiced nicely, but have a unique little twist on them thanks to a chunky pineapple salsa. It’s not your normal salsa and definitely not something you can find in a store.
The nice bonus of this pineapple salsa recipe is that it makes a good-sized bowl so you’ll probably have some left over for a nice chips and salsa snack in the following days.
- Updated March 29, 2019 to add images and spiffy up a few directions.
1) For chicken, poach chicken in lightly salted, simmering, but not boiling, water, until it’s cooked through (10-15 minutes). Then remove chicken, let cool, and shred with forks.
2) In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, red onion, shredded chicken, water, and Old El Paso Chicken Seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and sauce coats chicken. If it gets too thick, add more water.
3) For salsa, dice pineapple, radish, Serrano pepper, and onion and stir together with cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
4) For creamy avocado sauce, mash avocado until it’s smooth. Stir in sour cream, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
5) Assemble tacos by scooping in chicken and topping with big spoonfuls of pineapple salsa and drizzle with avocado sauce.
Spicy Chicken Taco Filling
To make the chicken filling for these pineapple chicken tacos, I just poached some chicken breasts gently in steaming (but not boiling water). I like to cut mine in half horizontally so they poach quicker. Then you can just shred the chicken once it is cooked through and has cooled a bit.
HINT: You can also buy a rotisserie chicken at your local store and shred that chicken and use it for these tacos. Works great!
To finish off the chicken filling, add a drizzle of olive oil to a skillet and some red onion. Cook that for a minute or two and then stir in the chicken, seasoning mix, and water. Let that simmer together for a minute or two and keep it warm until it’s taco time!
The salsa is basically just an exercise in chopping and stirring. You can chop the ingredients to your liking. I like mine chunkier but there’s no reason you can’t make it diced smaller. Your call!
This is easily made in advance if you are in a rush!
One more topping here before we starting building these tacos. I like to mash together some avocado with sour cream and a little lime juice!
This is a nice creamy topping, but you could also skip it or just use some sour cream.
Making Pineapple Chicken Tacos
Of course, you could use any shell for these bad boys. I do like hard shells with them though.
I tried one version with this crazy nacho cheese taco shell!
Ultimately though I reverted back to a normal hard taco shell! You can use any tortilla or shell you like though!
The combo of savory chicken, spicy pineapple salsa with crunchy radishes, and a creamy avocado sauce is about as good as tacos get. It tastes fancy and unique, but is really a very fast taco to make.
Make these spicy pineapple chicken tacos the next time you’re in a taco night mood!