I love this healthy and easy twist on breakfast. Microwave a spaghetti squash and use it throughout the week for easy and healthy breakfasts!
1 cup cooked spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 scallions, divided
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
Pinch red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
- Slice spaghetti squash in half longwise, through the stem. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and poke some holes in the skin and add the squash, cut side down, to a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 5 minutes and test it to see if it’s tender. It will probably need another 3-5 minutes depending on size and your microwave. When it’s done you should be able to easily separate the squash with a fork into strands.
- It’s best to make the spaghetti squash in advance and let it cool in the fridge and then you can easily make breakfast with it when it’s time. Squash will keep in the fridge for a week if wrapped tightly.
- To make breakfast skillet, add a drizzle of olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup of cooked and shredded spaghetti squash to the skillet and use a spatula to spread it around evenly. Allow to cook for about two minutes until it starts to take on some color.
- Add scallion whites to the skillet (leave greens for garnish) along with parmesan cheese which will kind of cling to the squash and make crispy edges. Cook for another minute.
- Arrange the squash so there are two wells in the center of the skillet and crack in two eggs. Let cook for a minute or two until most of the whites are set on the eggs.
- Cover skillet and let the eggs steam for 30-45 seconds until they are set on top (yolks should still be runny although you can cook longer if you want set yolks).
- Season skillet with red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and green scallions. Serve immediately.