Shredded potatoes mixed with classic Tex-Mex ingredients and cooked on the griddle until nice and crispy. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
1) Peel potatoes and grate them. Rinse the shredded potatoes under cold water to rinse off extra starch. Then press the shredded potatoes between a few paper towels to dry them off.
2) Seed and dice jalapeno along with other veggies. Dice them pretty finely.
3) Mix veggies in a large bowl with shredded potatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4) Heat a large griddle over medium heat. Add a good drizzle of olive oil to the griddle and spread out the potato mixture. Let it cook, undisturbed, until the edges start to brown, about 5 minutes.
5) Start flipping the potatoes so they cook evenly. If they look dry, drizzle on some extra oil so they brown nicely.
6) As the potatoes continue to brown, use your spatula to form 3-4 large rectangles out of the potatoes. Keep cooking.
7) Flip the hash browns and try to keep the rectangles together so they form a solid chunk. Cook until crispy on the outside, another 5 minutes.
8) Serve hash browns immediately with sliced avocado, a pinch of salt, and hot sauce. Optionally, you could top with an over-easy or poached egg.