Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad with BaconJump to Recipe
This recipe was updated on November 5, 2020 with new images and directions!
Thanksgiving is almost certainly going to be different (and smaller) in many households this year. A good easy-to-make salad like this Shaved Brussel Sprouts salad with Bacon should be on your menu!
Even though it will look much different this year, I’m excited that I think we will be able to have Thanksgiving in our actual home this year. Yay!
Normally I like my brussels sprouts roasted into submission until they are crispy and almost burned, and then tossed with a bright red wine vinegar dressing. But serving them raw, like in this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad, is something different entirely. You have to be really careful to balance the flavors, but if you nail it, YOU NAIL IT. It can absolutely be a top side dish for your Thanksgiving table.
The trick? Make a quick warm vinaigrette and pour it over the sprouts RIGHT before serving. Other than that step, you can make this salad entirely in advance. BONUS.
Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad
There isn’t actually much cooking you need to do for this salad. I would recommend baking the bacon though so it gets very crispy and you get really clean bacon grease which you can use in the salad dressing!
I also like to lightly toast my pecans (or you could use almost any nut really). Just until they are fragrant over low heat. Watch them closely as they can burn quickly.
For the vinaigrette, I like to mix everything together, but if it’s cold the bacon grease will just congeal. So, it’s best to warm it up gently right before serving.
Look at these beauties!
To shave them, cut them in half through the stems and then slice them as thin as possible.
When you’re ready for dinner, toss the sprouts lightly with the warm vinaigrette and then top with all the toppings.
It’s a fantastic salad that has all the flavors I love: sweet, tangy, crispy, savory, creamy. This shaved brussels sprouts salad would go great on any holiday table so just go ahead and bookmark it for next week!
The perfect salad for your holiday table is this Shaved Brussel Sprouts salad with bacon, goat cheese, and apples. Plus, I toss it with a quick warm bacon vinaigrette right before serving. Guaranteed good!
- Place bacon strips on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes until the bacon is very crispy. Let crispy bacon drain on a few paper towels and reserve bacon grease for vinaigrette.
- Wash brussels sprouts and slice them in half through the stem. Then shave thin with a sharp knife. Add shaved sprouts to a bowl.
- In a small skillet over low heat, toast pecans until fragrant and lightly browned. Be careful not to burn!
- Right before serving salad, heat bacon grease and other vinaigrette ingredients in a small skillet and swirl together. Don’t simmer the ingredients but heat them and stir until they are combined.
- When ready to serve, drizzle warm vinaigrette over shaved brussels sprouts and then toss with toasted pecans, goat cheese, chopped bacon, and apples. Serve immediately!
Here are a few other great Brussels Sprouts recipes!
Hello! My name is Nick Evans and I write and manage Macheesmo. I started Macheesmo 11 years ago when I was just learning my way around the kitchen. I love to cook and love everything food-related, but I have no formal training. These days I focus on fast, accessible recipes with the occasional “reach” recipe!
I’ve posted almost 2,000 recipes on Macheesmo. For each one, I do my best to give full explanations of what I did and tips on what I’d do differently next time. I’ll bring up the tricky parts and the easy parts.
I hope you can find something and cook something!