Savory Dutch baby pancake baked in a cast iron skillet made with cheddar and scallions! Nice and crispy around the edge with a fluffy and delicious center.
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Melt butter in the microwave in short bursts. Add two tablespoons of the butter to a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet. Reserve 1 tablespoon of butter for the batter.
2) Chop scallions into whites and greens. Leave the greens in large pieces and slice into strips. Then dunk the strips into cold water. As they chill, they will curl up!
3) Dice the scallion whites and add to the cast iron skillet with the butter. Stick the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes to preheat.
4) Meanwhile, add the milk, eggs, flour, sugar, salt, and a pinch of chili powder to a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds until the batter is very smooth. Pulse in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter very last.
5) Remove skillet from the oven and sprinkle half the grated cheese directly into the pan. Then quickly pour in the batter and sprinkle the last of the cheese on top of the batter. Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. If you’re using a 12 inch skillet, 25 minutes should be perfect. With a smaller skillet, you might need to bake it longer as your pancake will be thicker.
6) Remove pancake from oven and let cool briefly. Then cut into quarters and sprinkle with curly green scallions (dry them off first). Serve with hot sauce (or syrup actually).