1) Split pumpkin in half and scrape out seeds and guts. Save seeds for roasting if you want!
2) Roast pumpkin cut-side down in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes. Turn pumpkin cut side up and roast for another 30 minutes.
3) Let pumpkin cool slightly and then scoop out flesh from pumpkin. Mash roughly with a fork. You’ll need about 1/2 cup of pumpkin mash for each sandwich.
4) Stir together brown sugar and spices in a small bowl.
5) Butter one side of each piece of bread. Add buttered side of one piece to a large skillet over medium heat.
6) Scoop on 1/2 cup of pumpkin and spread it evenly over the bread. Sprinkle generously with spice mixture. Top with grated cheese. Add top piece of bread, buttered side up.
7) Cook sandwich over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side until the bread is nicely browned and the cheese melted.
Cut and serve immediately!