Have you had a Torta?!! It’s a Mexican Sandwich that’s usually filled with griddled meat, onions, and cheese, all stuffed in a soft roll. SO GOOD. I made this version with pressure cooker pulled pork and slathered it with Guacamole Salsa!
1) Chop pork shoulder into 3-4 large chunks and place in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker with cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, chipotle peppers, Adobo sauce, beer, and orange juice. Seal pressure cooker, bring to pressure, and cook at high pressure for 45 minutes. Turn off pressure cooker to allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then you can release it manually and remove the lid.
2) Remove pork pieces from the cooker and shred with a fork. Pour off cooking liquid. Return pulled pork to a bowl and moisten with cooking liquid. I would add about a cup of the cooking liquid to the pork. Feel free to add more if yours still seems dry.
To make a torta:
1) Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a small handful of sliced white onion to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until onions soften.
2) Add about 6 ounces of pulled pork to the skillet (a scant cup of pulled pork). Stir into the onions and allow to warm through on the skillet. Make a mound out of the pulled pork mixture that’s roughly the size of your bun.
3) Slice your bun in half. Move your pulled pork mixture to one side of the skillet and toast your bun, cut side down, on the skillet.
4) Add queso fresco to the pulled pork along with fresh cilantro. Allow to continue to cook for a minute or two but don’t stir the pulled pork once you add the queso fresco.
5) When bun is toasted, slather with HERDEZ Guacamole Salsa on both sides. Then scoop your pulled pork mixture into the toasted bun, fold over, and cut in half. If you aren’t eating the torta immediately, wrap in foil to keep warm.
Leftover pulled pork will keep well in the fridge for a week or you can freeze it in an airtight container once it has cooled for up to 3 months.