1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter muffin tins. Grate cheddar cheese.
2) In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and cut into the flour until it is in pea-sized pieces. You can use a pastry cutter, a large fork, or just your fingers.
3) Stir in buttermilk until it’s just combined. Try not to overwork the dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it out into a large rectangle.
4) Sprinkle the dough with half the cheddar cheese and fold it over so the cheese is in the middle. Roll out a second time and repeat. Roll out a third time until the dough is in a large rectangle (roughly 14×10). No need to be exact.
5) Cut the dough into tiny 1-inch cubes. Stack the dough cubes in muffin tins, using 4-5 dough pieces per tin. They should completely fill the muffin tins.
6) Bake biscuits at 425 degrees for 18-20 minutes until biscuits are nicely browned and cheese is bubbly.
7) Let the biscuits cool for a few minutes before removing them and serving.
Biscuits will keep fine once cool in an airtight container for a week in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.