Made from scratch pistachio ice cream with almond extract and real ingredients. It’s the best thing ever.
1) Process 1 cup of pistachios in a food processor with 1/4 cup of sugar. You can also just chop the pistachios finely and stir in the sugar.
2) Add this mixture to your whole milk over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir in your almond extract as well.
3) Bring this mixture to a light simmer. Watch it carefully and stir it regularly so it doesn’t scald. It should take around 10 minutes.
4) Once the mixture is simmering, take it off the heat. In a separate bowl whisk together your egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar.
5) Slowly whisk about a cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks. This will temper the yolks and raise their heat slowly. After that, you can whisk the egg mixture back in with the rest of the milk mixture.
6) Return your saucepan to the stove and turn your heat down to medium-low. Continue to cook your custard for 10-15 minutes until it gets very thick. Stir it constantly during this time. Continue to cook it until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
7) Strain the milk mixture to remove all the pistachio pieces and any cooked egg yolk. Don’t worry, there’s plenty of pistachio flavor in the custard at this point.
8) Chill your custard for at least two hours and then stir in your cream.
9) Process your custard in an ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes until it’s soft serve consistency. Then stir in extra chopped pistachios for texture.
10) Chill this for a few hours so the ice cream hardens!