Here’s how to make the classic French appetizer SAFELY at home! It’s really easy with a few simple tips and no stove required! Stop over-paying for it in fancy restaurants!
1) Start with a very good lean steak. Ask your butcher for a fresh steak and tell him you intend to eat it raw.
2) Rinse steak and dry it off well. Salt liberally on all sides. Cover and let sit in the fridge for an hour or two. Don’t let it sit for longer than a few hours or it will start to cure. Rinse the steak off and dry it again.
3) Trim off any large tendons or pieces of fat. If you start with a lean steak, you shouldn’t need to trim off much. Then portion out about 4 ounces. You can eyeball it.
4) Mince the steak finely (or to a texture you like). Take your time here.
5) Add the steak to a bowl and stir vigorously with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Taste a bit of it and adjust the seasoning to your liking. I like a little more vinegar and salt in mine.
6) Keep the mixture chilled until you’re ready to eat. Prepare your plate with toast, egg yolk (lightly poached if you want), pickled veg, capers, and minced shallot.
7) Press the tartare into a mold on the plate so it holds its shape and make a small well in the center. Slide in the egg yolk.