Basic Cheese Souffle
- Serves 4-6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
Did you make this?
Snap a photo and tag @macheesmo so I can see your work.
The mystery of this classic dish isn’t that mysterious. It also isn’t that hard! Learn how to make the most basic and delicious souffle!
1) Make sure to prepare all the ingredients before starting to mix together the souffle. When separating the eggs, do it one egg at a time and make sure not even a single drop of yolk gets in your egg whites.
2) Add butter to a saucepan over medium-high heat until butter is melted and then whisk in your flour. Cook for three or four minutes, whisking constantly.
3) Slowly whisk your milk into the roux (flour and butter). Work slowly so no lumps form in the sauce. It helps if your milk is warm for this so feel free to microwave it quickly.
4) Once your milk is whisked in, continue to cook the sauce so it thickens. Add your grated cheese and spices to the sauce.
5) Whisk about 1 cup of the hot cheese sauce into your whisked egg yolks. Go slowly so your yolks slowly rise in temperature. Once that’s done, whisk your yolk mixture back into your cheese mixture.
6) When you start to whisk your egg whites, make sure your bowl and whisk are VERY clean. If you’re using the same whisk that you used for your yolks, make sure it’s sparkling clean. Even a single drop of fat (yolk) will kill your whites.
7) Beat the whites until they form stiff peaks, about 5 minutes if you’re a good whisker.
8) Now the hard part. Take about 1/6 of your whites and stir them into your cheese base. Don’t worry about maintaining volume at this point. This will just lighten the base a bit.
9) Now add the rest of your egg whites and gently FOLD the whites into the sauce. Use a flat spatula and gently fold the base over the whites. Don’t stir it in or you’ll destroy the volume in the egg whites.
10) As soon as the mixture is combined, pour it into a buttered dish (or individual ramekins) and bake for 30 minutes (15-20 with ramekins) at 375 degrees.
11) Test the middle of the souffle to make sure it’s cooked through and serve immediately.
This delicious recipe was brought to you by Macheesmo. Read the full post at https://wp.me/pkSYO-3un.