A vegetarian take on the classic breakfast torta that is made with sauteed mushrooms, eggs, and lots of cheese.
1) Chop mushrooms into slices. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Then add sliced mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Cook until mushrooms lose their moisture and start to brown, about 8 minutes. At the end of cooking, hit mushrooms with a dash of hot sauce.
2) Scoop out mushrooms and set aside. Wipe out skillet and add another small dab of butter. Once melted, add eggs and let cook until there is a thin liquid layer on top. Flip eggs or roll into an omelet. Let cook through for 30 seconds.
3) Prep other toppings and panini press. If you don’t have a press, you can use two heavy oven-safe pans to press the sandwiches in a 350 degree oven.
4) Prep sandwiches by cutting them in half and hollowing out each half a bit. Add the eggs to one half and then mashed avocado to the top half. Top eggs with mushrooms and cheeses. Cover with the top half of each sandwich.
5) Press sandwiches until lightly crisp on the outside and melted on the inside. If you are using the oven press method this will take 10-12 minutes. Be sure to cover the sandwich with foil on both sides if you are using the oven since the pans will probably be dirty.
Cut sandwiches in half, wrap in foil to keep them warm,and serve immediately!