A quick rice bowl that’s great for breakfast or dinner called Loco Moco. Sticky coconut rice and ground pork topped with a fried egg!
1) The rice will work best if you add the water and rice together, stir them, and let them sit in the fridge for 6-8 hours. Alternatively, bring the water to a simmer,covered, stir in rice, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
2) Stir coconut milk into rice and set over low heat. If the rice is completely dry, add another 1/2 cup of water. Bring back to a simmer over low heat, cover, and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for about five minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
3) In a small pan, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, and sriracha. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and simmer until thick, about 8-10 minutes. It should have the consistency of a very thin gravy. It’s important to use low-sodium soy sauce or it will be too salty.
4) Cook pork in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season with salt, pepper, and fennel seed and cook until browned, breaking up pork as it cooks. This should take 8-10 minutes.
5) Remove pork from skillet and wipe the skillet clean. Add a drizzle of oil and crack in two eggs over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then cover and cook for another 45 seconds for over-easy. Cook longer for firmer yolks.
Serve the rice in a big bowl topped with pork and an egg. Garnish with scallions and cilantro and drizzle with soy sauce reduction.