Jalapeno Popper Wonton CupsJump to Recipe
As a busy dad and man, I sometimes forget to take a breather and take care of myself. Whether it’s making that doctor appointment I’ve been putting off for months, or focusing on making a few healthy switches to classic recipes, putting some focus on my own health and happiness is important.
That’s why I’m excited to be working with UCHealth to help promote their MANtenance campaign! If you are a man, or you have a special one in your life (Dad? Husband?) this is a great time to remind them to take some time to make sure they are getting their health needs in order.
But, if you’ve been a Macheesmo reader for long, you know I’m all about moderation, so I’m not going to recommend going cold-turkey on the fun that November holds – Sports! Holidays!
That’s why I worked on this delicious Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cup appetizer. It’s a bit lighter than my standard jalapeno poppers – filled with cream cheese and
wrapped and fried in bacon. Instead, this filling is made with Greek yogurt and portioned out in wonton cups for better portion control. It’s a small change, but honestly it tastes just as rich and delicious as a normal jalapeno popper. I think your guests will love it!
Also, I’m going to be making these as part of the UCHealth Couples Cooking Class event next week! I’ll also be doing a live demo of this recipe on the UCHealth Facebook page on Friday! Follow along and come say HI!
These jalapeno popper wonton cups pack some heat and are much healthier than the classic version thanks to some smart swaps!
1) Press wonton wrappers into a lightly greased mini muffin tin. Bake at 375 degrees F. until cups are crispy and browned around the edges, 8-10 minutes.
2) Simultaneously, add bacon strips and jalapenos to a baking sheet and bake until bacon is crispy and jalapenos are blistered, about 18-20 minutes. Remove and let cool briefly (transfer bacon to a few paper towels to drain grease).
3) In a medium bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, cheese, chives, garlic powder, salt, 1 roasted jalapeno (seeded and diced) and 3 strips of crunchy bacon, chopped.
4) Chop the remaining bacon for a topping on each cup and seed the remaining jalapenos. Slice the jalapeno into thin strips for a garnish.
5) When ready to serve, spoon the filling into each wonton cup. Top with a sprinkle of crumbled bacon and a jalapeno slice.
These can be made well in advance, but don’t assemble the cups until right before serving so the wonton cups stay crispy.
Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups
I love serving appetizers and dips in wonton cups. They are so easy to make and it’s automatic portion control. Use a mini muffin tin for best results and just press a wonton wrapper into each tin. If you can’t find wonton wrappers, you can also cut egg roll wrappers into quarters and use those.
Bake them until nice and crispy!
For the base, I tried a few different versions of this with varying levels of cream cheese, sour cream, and Greek yogurt. To be honest, I couldn’t really tell the difference too much so I ended up just using 100% Greek yogurt, which is a great healthy substitute.
For the bacon and jalapenos, just roast them on the same baking sheet until the bacon is crispy and the jalapeno is blistered. I did this at the same time I was roasting my wonton cups!
Add some jalapeno and bacon right into the popper filling, but save some for topping as well!
Then fill them up! You should get about 18-20 wonton cups out of this filling recipe.
Top each cup with a little crumbled bacon and a really thin jalapeno slice.
You can feel good about serving these jalapeno popper wonton cups and feel free to snag a few for yourself!