1) If you are making the dough, combine sugar, yeast, and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir together and let sit for five minutes until the mixture is foaming. Stir in salt and oil and then slowly add flour. Stir together and them mix with a dough hook on medium speed until the dough is a smooth texture, but not sticky. if it’s sticky, add a bit more flour.
You can also do this by hand by stirring the dough together and then kneading the dough in the bowl until it’s a smooth texture, about 8-10 minutes.
2) When dough is done, transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 90 minutes until it doubles. You can also use any prepared pizza dough for the recipe.
3) When ready to make mummies, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Working with one hot dog at a time, cut it half way up the center and then cut an arm off of each side of the top of the hot dog. Basically cut it into thirds on the top to make two arms and two legs. Check out a photo to see what I mean. It’s easy.
4) When hot dogs are cut, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and slice into thin strips. I would shoot for about 1/4-inch. Working with one strip at a time, wrap the strips of dough around the hot dogs. I found it easiest to start with the legs and wrap up to the head. You’ll need 3-4 strips per mummy.
5) When mummies are wrapped, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Finish all mummies.
6) Whisk together one egg with 2 tablespoons water and brush all mummies with egg wash. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.
7) Let mummies cool slightly and dot eyes with ketchup or Sriracha. Serve while warm!