Making breakfast sausage at home is really easy and it freezes perfectly for fast weekend breakfasts. I’m so excited to have this stocked in my freezer now! Extra easy if you have a meat grinder, but possible without one!
1) Trim off any large pieces of fat from the pork shoulder and cut the fat pieces and the meat pieces into 1-inch cubes.
2) If you’re using a food processor, pulse the fat pieces until they are basically a paste. Remove the fat to a bowl. If you’re using a meat grinder, grind it once coarsely then once finely.
3) Add the meat pieces and pulse until coarsely ground.
4) Combine the meat and fat in a big bowl.
5) Add spices, syrup, and chopped sage. Mix well with your hands! Optionally, you can add the spices after the first grind and then grind it a second time to integrate the spices. Stir in the maple syrup after grinding.
6) At this point, you can cook the sausage as ground meat, or form patties with it, or freeze it in a freezer-safe bag for months.