1) Soak your beans overnight and then rinse them in a colander.
2) Set those aside and chop up your ham, garlic and scallions. Chop up the white part of the onions for the stew and then we will use the greens for a garnish.
3) In a large pot (6-7 qt.), get your olive oil hot on medium heat and then throw in your scallions and garlic. Let those sautée for 2 or 3 minutes.
4) Then add in your ham. This should cook for ten minutes. You want your ham to just start to brown a bit.
5) Then throw in all your beans. You want to stir well to make sure all your flavors are incorporated.
6) Next add six cups of water and bring to a boil. Once the stew is boiling, turn down to low and let your soup simmer for one hour.
7) After that hour, toss in your pearl onions and season with salt and pepper. You could add lots of other spices like oregano, red pepper flake, etc. I wanted to keep mine pretty simple though.
8) Let this simmer for another 30 minutes and your beans should be tender and perfect. If they aren’t then let them cook for another thirty. Very simple. Very delicious.