This recipe is a nice variation of traditional vodka sauce with gin. Gin has a lot of herbal notes that makes for a fantastic pasta sauce!
1) In a medium pot, add olive oil, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes and begin cooking over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft and fragrant. Be careful not to brown the onions and garlic. You just want them soft.
2) Add in tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
3) Remove sauce from heat and blend with a stick blender, or normal blender until sauce is fairly smooth. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
4) Add gin and sugar to sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or so until alcohol cooks off from gin. You’ll know when it’s ready because it won’t smell like strong alcohol.
5) Stir in cream, Parmesan cheese, and basil and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
6) Cook pasta according to package. Make sure to pull it when it is al dente or has a slight bite to it still.
7) Drain pasta well and add directly to sauce. Stir together.
8) Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil!