Fresh Berry Dessert PizzaJump to Recipe
This post contains affiliate links from Ooni. By purchasing something from Ooni you help Macheesmo keep the lights on!
I wanted to end my batch of pizzas on my new Ooni with something sweet. Since it’s nearing summer, a berry pizza seemed to make sense. I kind of winged this guy, but it turned out great. The nice thing is that it’s almost more of a concept than a recipe. You can change around the cheese and the berries to make it fit what you have.
I used my normal pizza dough recipe for this. Sometimes dessert pizzas will have a sweet crust, but if you have good berries, I like them to be the star and so a more muted crust is actually nice.
How to Make a Dessert Pizza?
Once you have your berries picked out, you can choose to use either mascarpone cheese or cream cheese for the “sauce”. I went with cream cheese because I had some. Mascarpone would be a little more decadent.
Roll out your dough and spread some cheese on it. It helps if your cheese is room temp so it spreads easily.
Then dot with the fresh berries. Be sure to leave some room around the edges for crust.
Cooking the Pizza in the Ooni
The Ooni gets really hot and actually for this pizza you want to tone down the heat a bit. I put my ooni on the lowest heat setting for this pizza. If you were using natural fuel, like charcoal, you would just want to make this pizza at the end so your coals weren’t blazing hot.
The result is that this dessert pizza takes slightly longer to cook, but you don’t have any mega charred crust pieces which wouldn’t go well with the sweet theme.
Of course, if you don’t have an Ooni, you can cook this pizza in a traditional oven. It’ll need probably 10 minutes at 500˚F on a pre-heated pizza stone.
Once my berry dessert pizza came out, I dusted it with cinnamon sugar and some fresh mint.
This might be a surprise to you, but kids LOVE this pizza. Like… I barely got a piece of it!
If you’re a dessert pizza fan, leave a comment (or if you are an Ooni fan)! I’ve been SO happy with mine and can’t wait to fire it up throughout the summer.
Fresh Berry Dessert Pizza
- 1 8-ounce pizza dough
- Flour for shaping
- 4 ounces cream cheese or mascarpone
- 1 cup assorted berries blueberry, blackberry, raspberry
- Cinnamon sugar garnish
- Fresh mint garnish
- Preheat your oven, ideally the Ooni pizza oven.
- Flour dough and stretch it using your hands until it’s about 10-12 inches in width. Place on a lightly floured peel.
- Add cream cheese or mascarpone, spreading it in an even layer on the dough.
- Top with berries.
- Slide into the pizza oven.
- Cook pizza for 3-4 minutes, rotating pizza every minute or so to ensure even cooking. If you are cooking in the Ooni, cook on the lowest heat for this pizza. Monitor and rotate pizza frequently to avoid burning.
- Alternatively: You can cook the pizza in a traditional oven on a baking stone at 500˚F for 10-12 minutes.
- When pizza comes out, let cool briefly and garnish with cinnamon sugar and fresh mint. Slice and serve immediately!
Did you make this?
Snap a photo and tag @macheesmo so I can see your work.