Normally Eclairs are thought of as a dessert, but the dough works fantastically in the savory world also. Believe it or not these aren’t that hard to make and WOW are they good. A total winner!
1 cup water
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup bread flour
4 large eggs
8 hot dogs
Egg Wash (1 egg + 1 Tbsp. water)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium pot add water, butter, and salt and heat until butter is melted. Then turn heat down to low and stir in flour with a wooden spoon. Stir for 3-4 minutes over low heat until the dough is in a single ball that’s shiny and soft and not sticky at all. There should be a very thin film on the bottom of the pan. A spoon should stick straight up in the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes just to cool down the dough. Then add eggs one at a time. Finished choux dough should almost hold its shape. If you pick it up with the paddle, it should hold a “V” shape.
- Transfer dough to piping bag or sturdy plastic bag.
- Pipe dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pipe it into 5-6 inch buns, leaving a good amount of space in between each one.
- Press hot dogs right into the middle of each bun. Then brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake Eclair hot dogs for 12 minutes at 425 degrees F. Then reduce temp to 375 and bake for another 20 minutes. Then reduce to 300 degrees and bake for a final 10 minutes.
- When hot dogs are done, drizzle them with ketchup and/or mustard and sprinkle with diced onions and pickles. Serve while warm!