- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, stir together vinegar, garlic, mustard, sugar, and paprika.
- In a heavy, oven safe skillet, cook bacon if you’re using it until crispy over medium heat. When bacon is crispy remove to a plate with some paper towels to drain. Then chop. Pour off bacon grease, leaving 1 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Return skillet to stove and turn heat up to medium-high. If you didn’t use bacon, add 1 tablespoon of neutral oil to the skillet. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for about 5 minutes until skin is golden brown. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Then remove chicken to a plate.
- Add butter to skillet along with onion and cook until soft (3-4 minutes). THen add potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Nestle chicken pieces back in the skillet, skin-side up. Pour over sauce.
- Bring mixture to a simmer on the stove, then transfer to the oven to braise for 40 minutes until chicken thighs are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with reserved bacon and parsley.
Recipe from Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook.