1) Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, melted butter, and egg YOLKS. Be sure to be careful when separating egg whites and yolks. No yolks can be in the whites.
Note: Your buttermilk and eggs should be at room temp, but if you are a bad planner, just add them to a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on LOW (defrost) in 30 second bursts until they warm up slightly.
2) Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Don’t worry if there are a few clumps.
3) In a separate, clean bowl, add egg whites and whisk until they form soft peaks that hold a bit.
4) Once whites are whipped, gently fold them into the other batter, being careful not stir. Try to keep the mixture as light as possible. Again, don’t worry about mixing completely. Some white streaks are okay.
5) Heat about 1/4 cup of oil or butter on a large griddle or in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup of batter per pancake.
6) Cook for about 3-4 minutes until bubbles start to form on the top of each pancake and the edges start to firm up. Then flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the second side.
Serve cloud cakes right away with butter and maple syrup. These are best served right away but you can keep them warm in a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes while you finish cooking the others.