This simple chorizo Breakfast Torta is packed with flavor and hearty enough to keep you full way past lunch! Great way to start the day!
4 ounces chorizo sausage
1/2 cup pinto beans
2 tablespoons diced red onion
1 tablespoon mild green chile (opt)
3 oz. queso fresco
2 large eggs, scrambled
1/2 avocado, sliced thin
2 soft rolls (bolillo rolls)
Salt and pepper
- Add chorizo to a medium skillet (I like cast iron) over medium heat. Cook until chorizo is cooked through and starting to brown slightly. Then push to one side of the skillet and add red onions, chiles (if using) and beans. Cook for a few minutes and then lightly mash.
- Scoop beans into a pile and cheese.
- Meanwhile, toast buns and scramble eggs lightly in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Assemble tortas by adding half the chorizo to a toasted bun, top with half of the bean and cheese mixture. Then add half of the scrambled eggs, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, and a squeeze of lime.
- Fold roll over the filling and wrap tightly in foil to keep it warm. Slice in half and serve while warm!