Chorizo Breakfast TortasJump to Recipe
Okay, I get it. Every food blogger and writer is supposed to be posting holiday stuff right now. But, I’ve been working on my torta game and just had to share this Chorizo Breakfast Torta with you. It’s one of my favorite breakfast sandwiches and while it might be a bit too involved for a quick weekday breakfast, it’s absolutely great on a chilly weekend.
The key to a good torta is having layers of flavor that come together perfectly once the sandwich is wrapped up. The sort of hidden layer in this sandwich that ties everything together is a quick mashed pinto bean and cheese topping. Plus, don’t skimp on the avocado, cilantro, and lime! They add some nice bright flavors to the breakfast torta!
You’re gonna love this sandwich!
This simple chorizo Breakfast Torta is packed with flavor and hearty enough to keep you full way past lunch! Great way to start the day!
- Add chorizo to a medium skillet (I like cast iron) over medium heat. Cook until chorizo is cooked through and starting to brown slightly. Then push to one side of the skillet and add red onions, chiles (if using) and beans. Cook for a few minutes and then lightly mash.
- Scoop beans into a pile and cheese.
- Meanwhile, toast buns and scramble eggs lightly in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Assemble tortas by adding half the chorizo to a toasted bun, top with half of the bean and cheese mixture. Then add half of the scrambled eggs, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, and a squeeze of lime.
- Fold roll over the filling and wrap tightly in foil to keep it warm. Slice in half and serve while warm!
Chorizo Breakfast Tortas
These Mexican-style torta sandwiches start with some chorizo and beans. Cook the chorizo first because the fat from the chorizo will help cook the beans and you shouldn’t need to add any extra fat to the skillet. I like to keep everything in little piles, but there’s an argument that you could just mix it all together.
Keep this on low-ish heat so it doesn’t burn. Lightly mash the beans and top with cheese at some point!
Meanwhile, lightly scramble some eggs. Try not to overcook them. They should be 90% done when you take them off the heat and they can finish cooking in the skillet.
Toast your buns and you are ready to assemble! Chorizo and beans first!
Then add the eggs, avocado, cilantro, and a big squeeze of fresh lime.
Wrap that all up in foil and slice it in half. It’ll stay warm for 20 minutes or so in foil if you need to take it on the go, but I prefer it right away!
These chorizo breakfast tortas are maybe my ideal way to start the day and have similar flavors to my Chorizo Yam Tacos!
What do you think?!