1) If you’re using a whole chicken, slice off the thigh/leg and the breast pieces. Leave the skin on. You can also use all thighs or any assortment of chicken pieces with the skin on.
2) Toss chicken with braggs and soy sauce to marinate for 30 minutes.
3) Remove chicken from marinade and let any excess drip back into bowl. Transfer chicken to non-stick skillet (cast iron skillet) over high heat, skin-side down. Cook for 8 minutes until chicken is seared well and the skin is crispy.
4) Meanwhile, whisk coconut milk, vinegar, garlic, and spices in with soy sauce left from marinade.
5) When chicken is done, transfer to a plate (it will still be uncooked on one side). Pour out any fat from chicken. Add chicken back to pan, skin-side DOWN.
6) Pour coconut milk mixture over chicken. Bring to a simmer and turn heat down to medium. Simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
7) Flip chicken skin-side UP and cook for another 15 minutes in the sauce.
8) Transfer chicken to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
9) Remove bay leaves and lime leaves from simmering sauce and skim off any fat pools. Simmer and reduce for 5 minutes and then pour sauce over chicken.
10) Garnish with scallions and serve with rice.