Making a big batch of cherry BBQ sauce is the perfect use for slightly over-ripe cherries. This sauce goes great on everything!
1) Add butter to a medium pot over medium heat. Once melted, add onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook for about five minutes until veggies are soft.
2) Pit cherries and add cherries to the pot along with all other ingredients. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
3) Simmer sauce, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until the cherries break down. Stir regularly.
4) Let sauce cool down for a few minutes and then blend sauce until smooth. Blend in a few batches to make sure the sauce doesn’t explode out of the blender.
5) Return sauce to the pot and bring back to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.
6) Taste sauce for salt and adjust seasoning to your liking. Use sauce immediately or chill and use whenever. It’ll keep in the fridge for two weeks.
You can use this BBQ sauce on almost anything. Try it on BBQ chicken or pork, on a burger, or on anything grill-related really.