1) Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise and lay skin-side up on a large baking sheet. Poke a bunch of wholes in the skins with a fork and bake at 350 degrees until the squash is very tender, 45-60 minutes.
2) Let squash cool for a few minutes and then scoop squash into a large bowl (or food processor bowl)
3) Add half and half, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 of the grated cheese and process until smooth. If you don’t have a processor you can just mash well to combine everything.
4) Cook ziti according to packaging, drain, and combine ziti and butternut squash mixture.
5) Butter a 9×13 baking dish very well.
6) Add ziti mixture to baking dish and sprinkle on rest of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and ziti is slightly brown around edges, about 25-30 minutes.
7) Cool for a few minutes and serve it up!