Brussels Sprouts Breakfast BurritosJump to Recipe
I’ve been slowly winding my way through all the delicious Dr. Praeger’s products and was SO excited to try their new Brussels Sprouts Cakes. My favorite way to eat brussels sprouts is to get them super crispy, which can be tricky. The nice thing about these cakes is that they crisp up beautifully in a skillet and that’s how I’d recommend cooking them (although you can also make them in the oven).
I came up with these breakfast burritos as a relatively quick and filling breakfast that you can either eat right away or wrap them up in foil for eating on-the-go!
The truth about these brussels sprouts breakfast burritos is that they are truly flexible. I actually made a version that was just Brussels Sprouts Cakes and soft-scrambled eggs and it was pretty great! I ended up adding in some sautéed veggies for my final version that added some healthy crunch to the burrito, but you should feel free to leave out the veggies or use whatever veggies you have in your fridge!
Since these Brussels Sprouts cakes have some potato in them, they work really well in a breakfast burrito and are much easier to make then cooking potatoes from scratch!
If you’ve read Macheesmo for any amount of time, you know I’m a breakfast burrito fan and this burrito hit all the right spots for me!
Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Burritos
- 3 Dr. Praeger’s Brussels Sprouts Cakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup diced sweet peppers
- ⅓ cup sweet corn
- 3 eggs scrambled
- 2-3 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 large tortillas or wraps
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro garnish
- Add a small drizzle of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels Sprouts Cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until cakes are browned and crispy. Season cakes with salt and pepper and remove from skillet.
- Add a fresh drizzle of olive oil (1-2 teaspoons) if the pan is dry and add in the chopped onions, sweet peppers, and sweet corn. Cook until veggies soften, 4-5 minutes. Then remove from skillet.
- Add yet another drizzle of olive oil to the pan along with scrambled eggs. Turn heat down to low and cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are almost completely set, 2-3 minutes. Then remove from heat and add cheese. The residual heat should be enough to melt cheese.
- Make a burrito by adding 1 ½ Brussels Sprouts cakes to a large tortilla and layer on sautéed veggies and cheesy soft-scrambled eggs. Season burrito with salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro. Roll it up in foil for on-the-go breakfast or eat it right away!
Did you make this?
Snap a photo and tag @macheesmo so I can see your work.
Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Burritos
These Brussels Sprouts Cakes are my new favorite Dr. Praeger’s situation. I love how crispy they get in a skillet. I like them about two shades away from burned: A dark toasted brown color is what I shoot for.
I basically cook everything for these burritos in one skillet which takes a bit longer but is less clean up.
Once my cakes are done then I saute my veggies! You just want to get them tender.
Then it’s scrambled egg time. I prefer soft-scrambled cheesy eggs for my breakfast burritos. If you need a walkthrough on that, check out my perfect cheesy eggs tutorial!
Then it’s just about making the burritos! I used spinach tortillas but any tortilla or wrap that’s big enough to hold all the goodness will do the trick!
An awesome way to start the day.
You can eat these immediately, but if you are on the run, wrap one up in foil and it’ll stay warm for 15-2o minutes and you can eat it on the go!
Enjoy and try out these Brussels Sprouts Cakes if you can find them near you (store locator). They are awesome!