1) Boil a large pot of water with about 1 Tablespoon of salt per gallon of water in it.
2) Peel and chop potatoes in chunks.
3) Once water is boiling, throw potatoes in and boil for about 12 minutes or until a knife very easily slices a larger piece.
4) Drain the potatoes and add them to a bowl.
5) While potatoes are cooking chop the scallions (remember to keep your scallions separated into white and green), cook the bacon, and grate the cheese.
6) Once potatoes are cooked, add onions, garlic, cream cheese, cream, and cayenne to the mashed potatoes and mix them up.
7) Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
8) Add potatoes to a 9X9 baking dish that has been lightly buttered. Top with a good amount of shredded cheese, green scallions, and bacon.
9) Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 or until the cheese is gooey and bubbly.
10) Serve this with a variety of chips, toasted baguettes, or even just a few spoons.