Halloween Baked Brains
I’ll be honest… I contemplated hunting out an actual brain to bake for this recipe because I’m pretty sure it would still be good, but just umm… more intense. But, this version of Baked Brains is an appetizer that is guaranteed to please!
This delicious Halloween appetizer really has four ingredients so there’s no reason not to try it out!
1) Thaw pie crust according to directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix jelly with a few drops of food coloring.
2) Unroll one sheet of pie crust onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3) Spread some jam into the center of the pastry and set the entire wheel of brie right in the center.
4) Fold edges of puff pastry up. Seal it well.
5) Flip pastry so the seam of it is down on the baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Optionally, mix a few drops of red food coloring with rest of egg wash. Cut pie crust into strips and decorate the baked brie with strips of twisted pie crust. Brush with red egg wash.
6) Bake for 25-30 minutes until the puff pastry is golden brown.
7) Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers!
Easy Appetizer Alert
Guys, this is one of the easiest recipes you’ll see on Macheesmo. Everything is already made. You just have to pick up some good jam, a few sheets of frozen pie crust, and a wheel of brie.
I used a good fig jam on this day, but honestly any good quality jam will work. I did add a few drops of red food coloring to the jam to make the color pop a bit more.
Thaw the pie crust according to the directions and carefully unroll it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Then spoon out some of the cherry jam and plop your wheel of brie right in the center.
Fold up the edges of the puff pastry and press them together so the little pack is sealed tightly.
Then flip the whole thing over so the seam side of the puff pastry is down on the baking sheet. If you don’t flip it, it’ll just bus open in the oven and be a true nightmare.
You could bake this recipe as-is and it would be just fine, but if you want to take it to the next level, brush it with some egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water).
Then to give the baked brie brains some really cool effects, slice up a second piece of pie crust and twist it all over the baked brie. Mix a few drops of red food coloring into the egg wash and brush everything again. Ready to bake!
Bake this thing at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. The puff pastry will brown and puff up nicely.
Some jelly might leak out but don’t worry about it. There’s still plenty inside.
Most importantly, let this cool for a few minutes before cutting into it. Don’t worry, it will stay nice and melted for at least half an hour due to all the heat trapped in the puff pastry.
Serve it with lots of crackers and enjoy!
This is a recipe that anybody can make and everybody should. If you don’t like this, then I’m not sure I can help you in your search for deliciousness.