1) For brine, combine ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer to dissolve salt. Start bring with 1/2 gallon of water.
2) When brine is ready, remove it from the heat and add enough ice to bring the liquid to a full gallon. This will cool the brine as well.
3) Add chicken breasts to the brine and let brine, whole, for 4-5 hours.
4) When ready to cook, heat cooking oil to 350 degrees F.
5) Combine dry ingredients for breading mix in a large bowl. Then divide the breading between two bowls. Add buttermilk to a third bowl and season with a little salt and pepper.
6) Pull chicken out of brine and pat dry with paper towels. Slice into thin strips or nuggets.
7) Toss chicken with dry breading mix, then dip in buttermilk, then back in breading mix.
8) Fry chicken in batches for 7-8 minutes until it’s golden brown and cooked through. Test a piece to ensure it’s done.
9) Remove chicken from the fryer and let drain on a few paper towels. Serve while warm!