10 Minute Sweet Potato Breakfast BurritoJump to Recipe
I’ve always said that if I were to ever start a restaurant, it would be something incredibly simple like a breakfast burrito setup. For one, I love breakfast burritos. Second, they are much easier to make than people realize. This Sweet Potato Breakfast Burrito is ridiculously easy and should be an automatic addition to your breakfast recipe line up.
These sweet potato burritos started as a leftover situation. My 1 year old loved sweet potatoes and I frequently have half of a roasted one in the fridge. One day I tossed it in a burrito and it was very delicious.
If you don’t happen to have leftovers though, you can still make this burrito from scratch in 10 minutes using your microwave. I love it!
This recipe was updated December 26, 2019 with new images and descriptions!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
I like roasting sweet potatoes as much as the next guy, but seriously these can be made in the microwave very quickly. Just poke some holes in the potato with a fork, stick it on a plate, and microwave it on high for about five minutes. I usually do 2 1/2 minutes and then flip it and then another 2 1/2 minutes.
The potato will be SUPER hot when it comes out, so I usually split it in half so it can cool off quickly.
For the egg layer, whisk together the egg with a tablespoon of water and microwave it for 45-60 seconds. Then top the egg with some cheese and red onion. Then back in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Time to layer! Flip the cheesy eggs onto a flour tortilla, then top with some scooped out sweet potato, hot sauce, avocado, and scallion.
Season it with a little salt and pepper and roll it up!
I like to wrap mine in foil to keep it warm until I want to eat it. To be honest, I eat it right away anyway, but just in case I get distracted!
It’s probably faster to make this 10 minute sweet potato breakfast burrito than it is to swing through a drive through so you have no excuse. Don’t miss breakfast!
If you need a filling breakfast in a hurry, look no further than this easy sweet potato breakfast burrito. The whole thing is made in the microwave, but it’s still really delicious!
- Poke the sweet potato a few times all around with a fork. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes until tender. Remove and slice in half to let cool briefly.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs in separate bowls with 1 tablespoon water. Microwave each egg on high for 45 seconds.
- Add red onions and cheddar cheese to each egg and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Place flour tortilla on top of egg bowl. Flip it over so eggs and cheese are on the tortilla. Place on a plate and microwave for another 15 seconds (remove bowl).
- Use a fork to add about half of the sweet potato, in an even layer, on top of the eggs.
- Top with avocado, scallion, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll up tortilla well and wrap in foil. Eat on the go or cut it in half and enjoy it at home.