Zucchini Breakfast SkilletJump to Recipe
This time of year you should start seeing abundant and fresh zucchini and this Zucchini Breakfast Skillet is a great way to use some in a fast and fresh breakfast recipe!
If you wanted to keep this recipe super-simple, you could literally just use zucchini, but adding a few other aromatics like shallot and garlic really help with the flavors in the skillet.
And you better believe I’m topping this whole situation with some sunny-side up eggs! They are perfect in a skillet like this and cook right along with the rest of the ingredients.
Preparing the Zucchini for the Skillet
I like to grate the zucchini and poblano pepper for this recipe. The shredded veggies almost turn into a hash brown, of sorts, and get a bit crispy around the edges.
The shallot and garlic I just sliced up normally though.
Stir that all together and add it to a skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. The vegetables will need to cook for around five minutes and they should start to get crispy around the edges. Don’t stir them too much. Just let the sit on the heat.
Finishing the Zucchini Skillet
When you are ready to add the eggs, make some little wells in the middle of the skillet and crack in two eggs. Sprinkle the skillet with parmesan cheese which works great on skillets like this. The parmesan also gets nice and crispy where it touches the skillet.
Once the whites in the eggs has mostly set, cover the skillet with a lid or plate and let it steam for about 30 seconds. This will barely set the top of the eggs but still leave them soft on the inside.
Garnish the finished skillet with hot sauce, scallions, and a sprinkle of pepper. Breakfast is served!
This zucchini breakfast skillet can serve two as a light breakfast.
Personally I can eat the whole thing by myself. It’s super delicious!
Find some good zucchini soon and try this out!
When zucchini is fresh and abundant, making it into a delicious breakfast skillet should be on everybody’s breakfast list! I like to mix mine with shallot and poblano and top it with eggs and hot sauce!
- Use a box grater to grate the zucchini and poblano pepper. Slice the shallot and garlic. Stir together all the veggies.
- In a medium-large skillet, add olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the zucchini mixture and season the vegetables with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the mixture cook for 3-4 minutes without stirring so the vegetables start to brown a bit.
- Stir vegetables and continue to cook until they are crispy in parts around the edges.
- Make two holes in the zucchini mixture for eggs. Crack in the eggs and sprinkle parmesan over the whole skillet.
- Cook eggs for about two minutes until the whites are mostly set. Then cover the skillet with a lid and steam the eggs for 30 seconds just to set the whites on top.
- Garnish the skillet with hot sauce and scallion and serve while hot.
Here are a few other zucchini recipes!
Hello! My name is Nick Evans and I write and manage Macheesmo. I started Macheesmo 11 years ago when I was just learning my way around the kitchen. I love to cook and love everything food-related, but I have no formal training. These days I focus on fast, accessible recipes with the occasional “reach” recipe!
I’ve posted almost 2,000 recipes on Macheesmo. For each one, I do my best to give full explanations of what I did and tips on what I’d do differently next time. I’ll bring up the tricky parts and the easy parts.
I hope you can find something and cook something!