Whole wheat pasta thats tossed with a simple, but delicious, traditional Italian pan sauce with cheese and black pepper.
1) Get a large pot of water boiling that is heavily salted. I like to use about 1.5 tablespoons of kosher salt per gallon of water. The water should taste slightly less salty than ocean water.
2) Grind pepper coarsely. Add pepper to a large high-walled pan or pot. Toast over medium heat for 2 minutes until fragrant.
3) Add pasta to water too cook.
4) Add 1/2 cup of salty pasta water to black pepper to stop the toasting. Add butter and olive oil to sauce. Stir to combine.
5) When pasta is done, reserve 2 cups of pasta water although you will probably only need one.
6) Add one cup of pasta water to sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer.
7) Drain pasta and add to sauce. Top with grated parmesan and toss vigorously to combine sauce, cheese, and pasta.
8) If sauce is too thin, continue to cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly until it thickens. If sauce is really thick, add more pasta water to thin slightly. The sauce should stick to the pasta.
9) Serve pasta immediately with some extra Parmesan cheese.