1) If using tofu, place the block of extra-firm tofu between a few layers of paper towels and place a large cutting board or plate on top. Add something heavy to press out water in tofu. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then crumble the tofu.
2) Add a small drizzle of oil (1 Teaspoon) to a nonstick stillet and add the crumbled tofu. Cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
If you’re using ground beef you can brown it in the same pan you make the sauce in!
3) In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, add a few Tablespoons of neutral oil and then add all your chopped veggies. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Add tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and spices to veggies. Stir and reduce heat to medium. Bring mixture to a simmer.
5) Add tofu and stir to combine. Simmer until thick, about 10 minutes. Taste frequently and adjust for wanted spiciness or sweetness.
6) Serve on toasted buns and bring a fork!