Is there anything better than a rich, buttery pancake or waffle for brunch? It’s one of my absolute favorite categories of breakfast foods and if I’m feeding a crowd I always find myself adding one of these things to the menu. As I proved in my homemade trials on pancakes, the mixes are never really worth it and taste a bit off.
Making homemade pancakes and waffles from scratch is always worth the extra work and so I thought I’d put together a master guide with some of the best recipes out there.
Dig in and make some great breakfasts!
Who doesn’t love a perfectly fluffy pancake? They are one of the first things I ever learned how to cook and still make standard ones and awesome variations regularly. If you struggle with how to cook them and when to flip them, I find it’s easier to watch and this video (sound via Joy of Baking) does a great job of explaining how and when to flip.
There are a lot of great recipes here. I split them into savory and sweet for easier browsing!
- Churro Pancakes by Macheesmo
- Boston Creme Pie Pancakes by Country Cleaver
- Funfetti Buttermilk Pancakes by Sallys Baking Addiction
- Gluten Free Funfetti Pancakes by FoodFanatic
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes by Beard and Bonnet
- Pumpkin Pancakes by Brown Eyed Baker
- Beer and Brown Sugar Pancakes by The Beeroness
- Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes by Sweet Treats & More
- Berry Ricotta Pancakes by Turntable Kitchen
- Raspberry Crumble Pancakes by I Am a Food Blog
- Red Velvet Cake Pancakes by Something Swanky
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes by Recipe Girl
- Oven Baked Pancakes by Treats and Eats
- Cinnamon Whole Grain Power Pancakes by Pinch of Yum
- Blueberry Oatmeal Yogurt Pancakes by Damn Delicious
- Cloud Cakes by Macheesmo
- Sour Cream Pancakes by The Pioneer Woman
- Chocolate Cherry Pancakes by Savory Simple
- Snickerdoodle Pancakes by No. 2 Pencil
- Healthy Whole Wheat and Oats Pancakes by Jo Cooks
- Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Pancakes by What’s Gaby Cooking
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes by Made in our Kitchen
- Avocado Pancake Stack by Dancing Through Sunday
- Bacon Stuffed Savory Corn Cakes by Macheesmo
- Green Pancakes with Lime Butter by Bon Appetit
- Japanese Veggie Savory Pancakes by Smitten Kitchen
- Egg Baked in a Buckwheat Pancake by Sippity Sup
- Extra Flakey Scallion Pancakes by Serious Eats
- Homemade Socca by David Lebovitz
- Savory Dinner Pancakes by Real Simple
- Gluten Free Oats Crepe by Naturally Ella
- Chinese Savory Pancakes by Roti Rice
- Japanese Pancake (Okonomiyaki) by Closet Cooking
- Polenta Pancakes by Port and Fin
- Spring Onion and Kale Pancakes by A Fresh Legacy
- Spinach Ricotta Pancakes by Easy Food Smith
- Zucchini Corn Pancakes by Girl vs. Dough
- Carrot Fritters by Ricotta and Radishes
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes by Just a Taste
Pancakes were my first love for breakfast foods, but these days I’m way into waffles. Assuming you have a good waffle maker, I find them easier than pancakes and more substantial. I love a good crunchy one with a soft interior.
Again, you can take a waffle in many directions, savory and sweet. Here are some awesome ideas!
- Buckwheat Waffles by Simply Recipes
- PBR Waffles by Macheesmo
- Pumpkin French Toast Waffles by Dessert for Two
- Coffee Cake Waffles by Real Food by Dad
- Apple Cider Waffles by White on Rice Couple
- Blueberry Cake Waffles by Baker Mama
- Homemade Funfetti Waffles by Curried Cantaloupe
- Homemade Stroopwafels by Sprinkle Bakes
- Banana and Pearl Sugar Vegan Waffles by Oh Ladycakes
- Vanilla Yeasted Waffles by How Sweet It Is
- Protein Packed Malted Waffles by Healthy Delicious
- Tiramisu Waffles by Macheesmo
- Real Deal Waffle Donuts by Deliciously Yum
- Spelt Waffles by Eva in the Kitchen
- Peach Quinoa Pancakes by Rebel Grain
- Gingerbread Yogurt Waffles by Melanie Makes
- Chocolate Waffles with Vanilla Swirl by Eat the Love
- Cheddar and Jalapeno Waffles by Bacon Egg and Cheesecake
- Ham and Cheese Waffles by Macheesmo
- Waffle Cheese Sticks by The Food in my Beard
- Waffle Breakfast Nachos by The Delicious Life
- Cheddar Buttermilk Waffle BLTs by Joy the Baker
- Savory Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles by Minimalist Baker
- Chicken, Broccoli, and Potato Waffles by A Zesty Bite
- Savory Sweet Potato Waffles by Grok Grub
- Savory Spinach and Cheese Waffles by An Edible Perspective
- Savory Cornbread Waffles with 3 Toppings by Love and Olive Oil
- Cornbread Waffles with Chili by Dessert Now Dinner Later
- Savory Egg Stuffed Waffles by Happy Food Healthy Life
- Cheddar Sausage Cornmeal Waffles by Nutmeg Nanny
- Pizza Waffles by Shutterbean
- Savory Veggie Waffles by Healthy Nibbles and Bits
- Beer Cheddar Waffles by Stetted
What would pancakes and waffles be without some sort of topping? Sure, you can just use a little butter and fruit and call it a day, but if you are looking to kick it up a notch, you can pair these syrups and toppings with most of the above recipes!
- Pomegranate Syrup by Foodie Crush
- Creamy Lemon Sauce by Kitchen Sanctuary
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Topping by Maebells
- Root Beer Syrup by Foodie with a Family
- Blueberry Glaze by Pretty Sweet Simple
- Apple Cider Syrup by Little Dairy on the Prairie
- Pancake Syrup by Taste of Home
- Smashed Raspberry Compote by Cake ‘n’ Knife
- Banana Rum Topping by Fool Proof Living
- Nutella Syrup by Cakewhiz
- One Minute Peanut Butter Sauce by Southern Plate
- Natural Herb and Honey Syrups by The Yummy Life
- Chocolate Yogurt Sauce by She Knows
- Maple Cream Cheese Topping by Running to the Kitchen
- Pumpkin Maple Topping by Mr. Breakfast
- Simple Butter Syrup by Butter with a Side of Bread
- Creamy Chocolate Syrup by Dine and Dish
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Peach Syrup by Good Life Eats
To make great pancakes and waffles at home, it does help to have the right equipment! You’ll probably need some of this stuff!
Making the Ultimate Guide Even More Ultimate!
I did my best to include resources and recipes that I personally love in this list, but I’m sure I missed good stuff out there on the Internet.
If you have a high quality post or recipe that you think would be a good fit on this guide, shoot me an email or, even better, leave a comment with a link!
Share the Guide!
Share the guide, people!