Tuna Pizza with CapersJump to Recipe
This post contains affiliate links from Ooni. By purchasing something from Ooni you help Macheesmo keep the lights on!
I know that might sound way out of left field for many people. It’s definitely not on the Pizza Hut menu, but stay with me here.
If you’ve ever had a tuna melt, you’ll know the combo of salty tuna, creamy melted cheese, and crunchy bread is basically a pizza!
I love tuna pizza because the toppings are actually are quite light but it has big flavors. This pizza is intended to be cooked super hot so the crust is crispy and the tuna even gets a little charred in spots. Before serving, garnish it with a handful of arugula and some lemon zest to brighten it up. YES.
What Ingredients are on a Tuna Pizza?
There’s an argument that you could make this a white pizza or like a clam pizza with just olive oil, but I like a little red sauce on my tuna pizza. Go light on it and I just use good tomatoes, not seasoned pizza sauce. Use a good packed tuna in water or oil (I prefer water for this) and capers. Don’t skip the capers!
The key to making this pizza work is to use a light hand with the toppings. The tuna should be dotted around, but not piled up anywhere. The cheese shouldn’t blanket the dough, but just lightly cover it. Some sauce spots should show through.
Cooking the Pizza in an Ooni
Obviously, I used my new Ooni pizza oven to cook this bad boy in just a few minutes. A-mazing. Read my full review and unboxing of my Ooni pizza oven for more info on it!
If you don’t have an Ooni, what are you even doing?
KIDDING. You can still make this pizza. This pizza works great on a traditional pizza stone in a hot (500˚F) oven. It’ll need a bit longer to cook, probably 10-12 minutes, but will be golden brown and delicious.
Tuna pizza might seem like a weird combo, but it has actually jumped the ranks in my favorite pizza options. I really love it. Give it a shot!
If you have questions about the Ooni or this pizza, leave a comment!
Tuna pizza may sound weird but trust me that if you like tuna melts, you’ll love the combo of crunchy crust, creamy cheese, and salty tuna! I made this version in my Ooni!
- Preheat your oven, ideally the Ooni pizza oven.
- Flour dough and stretch it using your hands until it’s about 10-12 inches in width. Place on a lightly floured peel.
- Add tomatoes, spreading them out with a spoon.
- Top with mozzarella, flaked tuna, capers, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Slide into the pizza oven.
- Cook pizza for 3-4 minutes, rotating pizza every minute or so to ensure even cooking. Monitor heat and turn heat down if it is cooking too fast.
Alternatively: You can cook the pizza in a traditional oven on a baking stone at 500˚F for 10-12 minutes.
- When pizza comes out, let cool briefly and garnish with fresh arugula and lemon zest. Slice and serve immediately!