Homemade sausage and egg biscuits with cheddar cheese biscuits and a sweet and spicy sausage. A delicious breakfast sandwich!
Spicy Maple Sausage:
For the biscuits:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Cube the cold unsalted butter and use your fingers to rub it into the flour mixture until it is in pea-sized pieces.
2) Stir in grated cheddar cheese so it is mixed well. Finally add in buttermilk and stir until just combined.
3) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and fold it over itself a few times. Try not to overwork the dough. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out large round biscuits. You should get at least 8 and probably closer to 12 biscuits.
4) Move biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until they are golden brown.
For the Sausage:
1) Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Portion out sausage into 8 even patties (about 2 ounces each).
2) Add patties to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side until the sausages are well browned.
For the egg:
1) Scramble egg and pour into a nonstick pan or a pan with some oil or butter over medium heat. After about 90 seconds fold the egg over itself a few times so the egg is nice and light and cooked through.
For each sandwich:
Split a biscuit in half and add half of the cooked egg. Then top with sausage and serve while warm!
If you want to freeze these, let them cool to room temperature and then wrap them well in foil. Freeze them and then store them in a freezer bag for up to 2-3 months. I prefer to reheat them in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes so the biscuits don’t get soggy.