I compare a homemade buttermilk biscuit recipe to two popular store bought brands in the categories of TIME, TASTE, NUTRITION, and COST.
1) Start biscuits by mixing flour with salt and baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl.
2) Cut in cold butter or shortening using your fingers until it resembles small pea-sized pieces in the flour.
3) Add buttermilk and mix until the mixture forms a loose dough. Don’t over-mix the dough.
4) Scoop the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it out in a rectangle shape. Fold it into thirds over itself. Then roll it out gently and do it again. Finally roll it out until it’s about 1 inch thick.
5) Cut the biscuits out of the dough. You can either cut out circles or just slice the dough into rectangles.
6) Add biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet and brush them with some extra buttermilk. Then bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes until they are golden brown.