I make my favorite gingerbread cookie recipe with my nephew over the holidays! We try to not eat them all.
1) To start this recipe take your dry ingredients (flour, spices, and baking soda) and mix them well in a bowl.
2) Then you want to cream your butter with your sugar. Start beating your butter for a few minutes and then add in your sugar. The sugar will help make the butter light and fluffy. After a few minutes beat in your egg and molasses as well.
3) Slowly mix in your dry ingredients with your wet and you will have a very thick dough. Near the end you will probably have to work it with your hands.
4) Divide the dough into two balls and place it in a cold place to chill for at least an hour.
5) Roll dough into about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into any shapes you want!
6) Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet for 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees F.
7) For a quick icing, just beat one egg white which I beat until fluffy and then I whisked in my lemon juice and powdered sugar. Super-easy and works great for decorating these guys. I put mine in a Ziploc bag and cut off the very tip of it to make a redneck pastry bag.