Homemade biscuits and gravy with pork sausage gravy. This is one of my favorite breakfasts ever.
1) Start biscuits by mixing flour with salt and baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl.
2) Cut in cold butter or shortening using your fingers until it resembles small pea-sized pieces in the flour.
3) Add buttermilk and mix until the mixture forms a loose dough. Don’t over-mix the dough.
4) Scoop the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it out in a rectangle shape. Fold it into thirds over itself. Then roll it out gently and do it again. Finally roll it out until it’s about 1 inch thick.
5) Cut the biscuits out of the dough. You can either cut out circles or just slice the dough into rectangles.
6) Add biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet and brush them with some extra buttermilk. Then bake them at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown.
7) For gravy, cook sausage in a cast iron pan until it well-browned and cooked through. Remove it from the pan and leave as much of the grease as you can.
8) Add flour to pan and whisk to form a roux. Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until it turns a light tan color.
9) Slowly whisk milk into roux. Work slowly so lumps don’t form. Once the milk is incorporated, continue to cook until it’s nice and thick.
10) Stir sausage back into gravy and season with salt and pepper.
11) Serve biscuits with the gravy!