I call this dish The Bird’s Nest because well, it looks like a bird’s nest. Thin Hash Browns and soft-boiled eggs!
1) Add cooking oil to a high-walled skillet or large pot. Heat until it’s 300-350 degrees F.
2) Peel potatoes and grate. Dry potatoes with a few paper towels.
3) Working with about a handful of potatoes at a time, slowly add them to the oil. Stir well with a metal slotted spoon to separate the potato strands. Fry for about 90 seconds until they are crispy and browned.
4) Remove fried potatoes and drain on a few paper towels. Season with a pinch of salt and repeat with all potatoes. You should end up with a big mound of fried, slivered potatoes!
5) Meanwhile, cook eggs. I prefer <a href=”https://www.macheesmo.com/soft-boiled-eggs/” target=”_blank”>soft-boiled eggs</a>, but over-easy or poached would work well also.
6) Divide fried potatoes between plates, making a well in the center. Top with chopped spinach and tomatoes. Then nestle in eggs and drizzle with olive oil. Season with chives, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.