1 16 ounce bag of dried black-eyed peas (soaked overnight in cold water)
1 bunch of scallions, only use the white part from half the scallions otherwise it will be too oniony.
1 green pepper, diced fine.
1 tomato, wash out the seeds and dice fine.
3 cloves garlic.
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1 bunch of parsley
2-3 jalapenos depending on how hot you want it.
1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce (If you are actually trying to make this vegetarian, be sure to buy the version without anchovies.)
1 Tablespoon Tabasco or other hot sauce.
Salt and pepper. I like lots of pepper, around a tablespoon.
1 Cup olive oil
1/2 Cup balsamic vinegar
1) Soak the beans overnight.
2) Drain the beans and rinse them off a bit with cold water.
3) Follow the directions on the package to cook them, but basically simmer them with some salt for about an hour until they are tender.
4) Chop up all of the veggies to make sure they are small and uniform.
5) Prep the vinaigrette dressing. Use 2 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar.
6) Basically stir everything together. Adjust the flavors a bit to your tastes. For example, we added a bit more salt and probably another teaspoon of Worchestershire sauce and Tabasco.
7) Make sure you give it time to chill in the fridge for at least a few hours.
8) Serve on tortilla chips.
This delicious recipe was brought to you by Macheesmo. Read the full post at https://wp.me/pkSYO-1hp.