Dates soaked in orange liqueur and crunchy walnuts are baked into a dense sweet loaf that makes for a perfect breakfast or dessert!
1) Remove seeds from dates and roughly chop them. Then add them to a bowl with the orange liqueur. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large mixing bowl), cream together the butter and brown sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
3) In a separate small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4) Once butter and sugar is creamed together, add in egg, vanilla, and orange zest. Mix until smooth on low.
5) Add in dry ingredients in 1/3 batches. In between each batch, stir in half of the orange juice.
6) Once the batter is formed, try not to overmix it. Then stir in dates with orange liqueur and walnuts. Stir until just combined.
7) Spoon batter into a loaf pan that’s been buttered and lightly coated with flour.
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes until it’s nice and golden brown.
9) Let loaf cool for five minutes, then remove it from pan and let it cool for at least another 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with cream cheese or butter!