These fried sweet corn hush puppies are the perfect side to any late summer or fall meal. Golden brown cornmeal puffs served with homemade honey butter!
For honey butter, allow butter to soften and then mash together with honey. Keep at room temperature to serve so it is dippable.
For hush puppies:
- Add cornmeal, flour, salt, Tajin, baking powder, and baking soda to a medium bowl and whisk together. Whisk in egg and buttermilk to form a very thick batter. Fold in corn kernels.
- Heat oil about 3 cups of oil in a sturdy pot to 350˚F. You only need a few inches of oil to fry these. When oil is hot, use a spoon to gently spoon in scant tablespoons of batter into the oil, being careful not to splash. Allow hush puppies to fry for 3-4 minutes, flipping them as needed to ensure even frying. Work in batches to not crowd the pot.
- Remove golden brown hush puppies with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a baking sheet with paper towel.
- Repeat until you have used all your batter.
- Serve hush puppies warm or at room temperature with honey butter.